Saturday, March 01, 2014

It's a DRY Snow

In the Winnipeg Free Press they had this to say in connection to the flood forecast. 

In their first flood briefing of 2014, provincial officials said the outlook looks fairly positive at this point because of a relatively "dry" snow pack and average soil moisture conditions heading into freeze-up.

So I performed a Kindergarden experiment to see how "dry" the snow is thie year. 


I filled up a measuring cup with snow - over the 1000 mL mark. 


After 2 hours it had melted quite a bit. 


The next morning there was about 375 mL of water in the cup. 

So is that "dry" or not?  I'm not sure. What I do know is that the melted snow wasn't very clean. 



Above:  BEFORE -pristine white



AFTER: you can see the dirt and leaves 

I wouldn't want to drink it!